As of October 2, 2000, California has banned the Bushmaster XM15 by name in the Kasler v. Lockyer Assault Weapon List, among other AR-style rifles by Armalite, DPMS, Colt, and Eagle Arms, to name a few.
As a result of the Sandy Hook school shooting:
- New York State banned the Bushmaster XM-15 series and assault weapons in the January 2013 NY SAFE Act.
- The XM-15 series is among over 100 named firearms added to the Connecticut state assault weapon ban list in an April 2013 amendment, passed in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
- Brazil: Federal Police of Brazil
- Georgia: Georgian Land Forces uses Bushmaster M4-type Carbine
- Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
- New Zealand: New Zealand Police
- Papua New Guinea
- Poland: Used by JW GROM.
- United States